Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Currently Listening to Jill Scott [Philly Pride]

Daily conversation in NYC- today has been about Kanye West of course. Poor guy he really made a boo-boo, even Obama basically said he was a jerk... 
Why I'm writing a blog- this morning I awoke, tired and with not enough sleep, but also with this new feeling of wanting to share... I have so many people to keep in touch with while in college, so the idea of a blog had previously crossed my mind, but for some reason this morning it sounded ever more appeasing.
Now-At the moment I'm sitting in my dorm, smack in the Lower East Side. I'm trying to think about the point I'm going to have in these blogs, or if I can find one. Some options:
  • Fashion Blog- (which was my sole idea this morning) I would take a picture of what I'm wearing that day     ( <--- ), give some details b/c I am a very thrifty shopper, and maybe say what I see in style in NYC these days.
  • What's Going on in NYC- ...self explanatory...
  • My Life- talk about whats going on, roommates, classes, parties, famous people seen....
  • A Compilation of All 3...
I'll probably start with the last option for now. 
Fashion- It was pretty warm out today. Wearing: black t-shirt v-neck (banana republic $1.99), legging jeans (less than $20), studded gladiator sandals (splurge: ~ $60), loads of bracelets, necklaces, rings ($ ? collected over the years). Pretty laid-back today...
Class- Today I had class from 10am -11:40am, but my teacher ended up letting us out at 11:15ish =] We actually had a great discussion about modernity and modernism, seminar style of course. A main question in the class, Why do so many New Yorker's have such a hard exterior?
-I think...since NYC is such an overwhelming place, with so many people, tourists, advertisements, ect... NYers try to make their own "little cities" inside their own huge city, compiled of a group of people they care about...and so when people like me walk down the street smiling at all the random NYer passerby's, I get a cold shoulder, b/c I am not one of their inner circles... (?)
Let me know what you think!
Hello My Name Is: First Time Blogger (Jocelyn)
<3

5 comments:

  1. Hi, cool way to share & stay connected. In my opinion on the NYkers conduct. I have a couple of theoris :
    1. People doesn't know how to leave their problems at home.
    2. Lack of manners - if people don't see it at home they don't use them even if they see other people using them (They might look at you funny).
    3. People learn from their family members & friends to distrust other ethnic groups other than the ones that they are part of (I find this to be very stupid, you enjoy life more when you appreatiate the diversity around you).
    4. People create boundaries around themself and that only limit their possibilities at trully living free in this land of the brave...lolz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Yeah I definitely agree with those, but they are all things that a lot of people go through, not just NYers...ya know?
    Cuz I mean I'm from Philadelphia and it seems like more people smile there, but I don't think that means all people in NY are going through those thing (your theories 1-4), there some special problems NYers must have... =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. JUICY!
    im so excited for this i really think the outfit of the day, whats goin on in NY and ur life is a great idea. keep people interested...not like u arent interesting on ur own.

    i have been saying i wanna do a blog or sumthin but im too lazy. ill send u interesting things i write down. lately my lil insights hav come on the bus riding home from class. Chicago isnt like philly, i have way more to talk about here.
    now i hav another city to kno...NYC thru u =)
    love u boo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Squash!
    I am excited, send me things! Lol, of course we chat anyways, maybe I can put them as "specials" on my page, since u dont have time =]
    Love Love Love you
    Jocey

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your so right about new yorkers. I never thought of it that way but its spot on. We are so overwhelmed by the size of the city that we create little cliques of people in certain places so we feel secure and know where they will be. A constant that is usually reliable
    i love you
    your little sister

    ReplyDelete